- If students are new to the country, they will be evaluated and placed in the appropriate class.
- If students are presently enrolled in an ELL program and need continued instruction, they will be placed in the appropriate class.
Mastery of the English language can take on average 3 to 5 years.
Mastery of Academic Language can take on average 5-8 years. (Cummins 2006)
Instruction for ELLs
The students are grouped into language ability, Newcomers/Beginners, and Intermediates/ Advanced.
- The Newcomers/Beginners are given interactive instructions in rich language incorporating listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- The Intermediates are provided opportunities in Language Arts and content areas such as Science, Social Studies, Math, and Reading.
- Students receive a minimum of 90 minutes to 160 minutes of instructional time weekly
Testing & Exiting
Testing: The English Language Learners, ELLs, are required to take the state’s ESL test, ACCESS for ELLs, which usually takes place in the spring. In addition, they are required to take the PARCC test.
Exiting: We have a multiple-criteria checklist.
- Obtain a passing grade in their regular classes.
- The ESL and classroom teachers meet to discuss the student’s progress.
New Initiatives for ESL
- Fast For Word and Reading Assistant series for the district
- Increased use of technology (i-Pads, SMARTBoard)
- Curriculum Mapping